Thursday, May 10, 2007

With a licence to marry!

Today I received a letter from the County Governor of Oslo and Akershus with a certificate licensing me to, as a representative of the national secular humanist organisation, perform marriages and same sex partnerships in the kingdom of Norway. As more and more people find life, meaning and joy outside old religious doctrines and cold churches, secular ceremonies where humanity (and not superstition) is the centre gets more and more requested.

After a good course and a certification process by Human-Etisk Forbund (The Norwegian Humanist Association) I really look forward to the seven marriages I have scheduled so far for the summer. I know this is going to be a wonderful experience and that I will meet lots of great people. It is a luxury to be living in the best country in the world and having time and opportunity to participate in and experience everything I can.

Now that I have all my fellow licensed humanists all left for me is to find someone who is strong enough to live with me. :)
"That is what marriage really means: helping one another to reach the full status of being persons, responsible and autonomous beings who do not run away from life."
[Paul Tournier]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like that even though you clearly don't approve of religion, you are still open enough to use a quote about marriage from a renowned Christian physician, known for his support of the human as a spiritual as well as physical being, and the power of healing through faith. Very nice.